Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Finding Your Passion

Tonight Vickie and I hosted our YWMs (Young Women's Ministries) at Vickie's house. I have had on my mind for a few months to ask Paula Ackerman to speak. Paula is such a sweet, humble, wonderful Christian lady who I really think a lot of (btw you can visit her blog-see link to Cupcake Betty on the side). I could tell as soon as she started that what she had to say was meant for our group of young women. She spoke about finding what it is you are passionate about and using it to glorify God. She pointed out and it is so true that so many times we get caught up in the hustle of life, that we don't take time to pursue those things that make us truly happy and fulfilled. She spoke about David and what a passion he had for life. God did not create us to be burdened down, but rather to be full of joy and happiness. I know I get caught up in work, my boys, and many other things and I often don't take time to even think about the things I am passionate about. But, Paula pointed out to us how easy it is to pursue those passions and use them for the Lord. For example, she loves photography (which is how we met) and she always offers to come to the home of new mothers in her church and do a session for free. She spends this time ministering to the family as well. What a great idea! I never thought about using simple things like that as a ministry. I try to make things too complicated and then I give up usually. So, this week, I am going to make it my mission to prayerfully seek the things I am passionate about and work to fulfill them in my life and in my work for the Lord. I know this is an unusual post but I was so inspired by Paula tonight. We have so much to be thankful for and we can never thank God enough. So, I encourage you to find your passion and let's see where it takes us...

2 comments:

The Newton's said...

On that same note...I often find that I am not thankful enough for the many blessings in my life. I am glad you wrote this today. I needed to read it. To remind me to stop and think about the things I love and am passionate about and remember to be thankful for them.
By the way, I loved seeing and talking to you at the shower. We need to plan a get together with everyone and catch up.

Amanda said...

Hey! I got on your blog today not expecting this, and I am so happy you wrote this post. I have been feeling this way a lot here lately. I thought it was because I stay at home with my son, Austin, but it's good to know that I am human and not selfish! I'm going to start to do things that I love and be thankful for them, too! My husband will probably fall over when I start, but I definitely need it! Thanks for sharing!
Your boys are adorable!!

Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker